Fash! Geek: I’m having a thing about … black & white flats

I’m having a thing about … black & white flats

IMG_6186
CREDITS: Black jumpsuit, Zara (old season, similar here and here) | Trainers, ‘Elwood’ from Finery London | Bag, Daughter of Jon
It all started with a pair of lace-ups I saw in Other Stories last season. I never quite managed to track down my size, but the flat, pointed shape and two-tone colour combo were so simple and chic that I kept thinking they were exactly what my wardrobe was missing.
So I needed a pair of mono shoes. Fast-forward to this season and I fell in love with the two-colour-combo style I’m wearing above from Finery London.
Before I go on about black and white shoes taking over on the high street, a quick word about Finery.
I’m a big fan of their style and really love the ethos behind it. However, I have found their stock system a little irritating and wanted to flag this up â€" for reasons that will become clear.
I waited patiently for a pair of black and white trainers that showed on their site from their launch back in February. I say ‘patiently’ because it stated that they were ‘coming soon,’ but never seemed to materialise. Several tweets and emails later, it turned out the shoes I’d decided were my perfect everyday style weren’t going into production after all, but the ‘Elwood’ style (above in picture) were. It was disappointing, but as they are a new business I decided to put that down to logistics and bought the alternatives which I am very happy with and which add a slightly smarter edge to my day look.
However, in writing this post, I noticed the Elwoods are showing low stock and you can’t actually click through onto the shoe itself â€" something I also noticed with a blouse I was trying to buy. Obviously this is very annoying for reasons of this post and also for anyone trying to buy them, because until now, they have been available. I am SORRY. If you really love the trainers, their customer service or Twitter account is very helpful and may be able to pinpoint when they can expect more stock.
Otherwise, I have other two-tone options below.
Outfit-wise, I’ve kept the look very mono and wanted to let you all know about the sporty aertex bag, from a new accessory brand I’ve discovered called Daughter of Jón. Designer Hedi comes from Iceland, moved to Barcelona but studied fashion design in Vienna. Now her sports-meets-glam brand stocks online as well as Topshop Oxford Circus. I love this white shoulder bag as it looks ladylike, but not too smart. You know what I mean, check them out.IMG_5857
But back to the shoes. There is something simple, stylish and with a touch of the Spats about black and white combined. But for me, they work for so many different occasions â€" from school runs with denim and a sweatshirt, to smarter meeting outfits, like the one I’m wearing above.
Here are some of my current favourites:
shoes
CREDITS: Top, Next | Second row, Vans x Other Stories | Third row, Office | Fourth row, Nicholas Kirkwood at Net-a-Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment